Wondering what a CMMS Is? It stands for Computerized Maintenance Management System sometimes also referred to as EAM, Enterprise Asset Management. It is an essential tool for managing scheduled and unscheduled maintenance on equipment and capital assets that are necessary for successfully running a business. A good CMMS system allows you to track any information you need in order to be on top of maintenance costs and activities, corrective maintenance, facility maintenance, and preventive maintenance.
Much of the corrective maintenance can be avoided if the preventive maintenance happens in time to catch the problems. Using a Computerized Maintenance Management Software (CMMS) solution, your decision to repair, replace, or leave the asset as-is becomes easier. Accurate real-time data is critical to making sound financial and managerial decisions and a CMMS solution can filter and sort your data to provide you with the information you need to determine the best course of action.
One of the biggest benefits of CMMS is that it gives your organization increased insight into everything that’s happening within your organization. You can create automatic reports that you receive and review on a regular schedule, and pull reports as needed to get a specific understanding of detailed concerns. Other advantages of CMMS software systems include:
- Provides a scheduling facility for managing planned preventive maintenance on your capital assets.
- Helps you track important information related to the planning of maintenance, cleaning, or inspections, which keep operating systems operating at peak efficiency.
- Increased profitability through the more efficient use of resources, reduced operating costs and decreased downtime.
- More efficient, and more organized operations of manufacturing facilities due to regular maintenance checks.
- More credibility with vendors, customers, and other businesses due to less downtime and operational costs.
In essence, CMMS does more than “fix things” that need fixing. It prevents things from breaking in the first place and keeps things running in the most efficient manner possible all the time, thereby increasing profits and decreasing losses. Corrective maintenance needs are minimized and reliability-centered maintenance takes its place. This results in better disaster preparedness as well, due to the reduced need for repairs in the long term. CMMS software is the ideal solution for manufacturer-based maintenance that puts you on top of your system so that you don’t have to worry about what might happen tomorrow.